Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Asaritsuchi

Today, after suffering the second session of my tooth killing visit to the dentist, there was post.

Recognised Gary's packing and knew that the hammer was there. And some tea. Gosh his tea is good. Rice tea and for the first time Matcha. During the weeked I saw "Dead of a Tea Master" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnQO_rRRcI

If you read the book of tea, by Okakura Kakuzō, then you should watch this movie. If you like wabisabi and japanese aesthetics, go for it. Sometimes I forgot to follow the dialogs by looking at the joinery of the background.

Anyway, here it is:



And this is how it looked on ebay:



Indeed, the tip is a dovetailed inset of hard metal. How hard? Harder than my anvil and harder than my saws.

It was a nice surprise to see the lines on the tip today, I thought I was supposed to file them by myself. The metal of the body looks like cast iron. I mean, it is painted like cast iron is painted. It's quite light.

This is how it looks next to my other hammers


From bottom to top, sorted by weight: 300g Daruma, the best hammer for morticing. Then a smaller Sakikiri, with a soft wide face that I use for chisels, and a hard tip for Ura-dashi that I just made sharp following the advice of Jason. Then a smallish Iknownotthyname hammer that I use for hammering my saws, and latest, the new toy. The foldable ruler is for the scale.

In the next few weeks I should get the new files I ordered and will continue sharpening. On the meantime, I will try to set some saws and see if I make a saw vice with the left overs from the trestle legs I need to make for my bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment