Saturday, October 25, 2014

Austro-Chilean teeth

It took me 4 times what I spend sharpening the front and back facet, but it's done.

I did it free hand because I didn't want to make one of the edges of the file safe...



Definitely not western style.  Not sure if japanese either. For the sake of reckless nationalism, let's call it Austro-Chilean style.

Here some of the rusty parts:


More rust.


It cuts really fast. Probably, my fastest saw at the moment. Not as smooth as a 210mm saw, but way better than my 295mm.

How do you do it?

From the situation pictured in the past post, I just touched the teeth that had a flat too large and then I started to file the third facet free hand. For the first side, I just gave it 3 passes. Nothing special and it didn't seem to work.

Then I understood.

There is plenty of feedback available when you file if you pay attention. The sounds and the friction on the file are not constant. When you start, the shape of the tooth is "against" the third facet. So you need to overcome this pointy point and define a plane there. It needed more passes. In some places 4 in other 6. But eventually, you can feel (and hear and see) that you are filing a plane. It flows. Then you stop when you see the triangle or when the filling becomes too easy. It's really like if the saw were telling you: "yo man, that's enough, go to the next one." (And you literally see a triangle of light appear on the top telling you that it's the last stroke, I wish I had a camera man to record this.) Once I understood that, it was really really straightforward. I finished the second side, came back to the first side looking for those triangles, and done.  A fast diamond on the back and ready to cut.

That's it.  Now go and try it yourself.





No comments:

Post a Comment