Sunday, June 7, 2015

Madonoko is the new black

I had trouble keeping up with Jason's pace and now I also need to be up to date with Gabe.

So, first of all, the setting hammer handle (I guess this a much smaller hammer than your Gabe btw):


together with a 6" square and my other hammers, the small one on the left and the curved one have new handles since I left the old ones in Europe, olive wood and cheery, both from the house. The thickness of the handle tells you how much force you use in with the hammer. The same with door pulls, if I remember correctly, said Krenov. I tend to like shorter handles than factory made japanese hammers, the setting hammer being the exception. I'm still not sure about the cherry handle also... need to keep studying this. I see handles as something that need to be transparent in use (Heidegger's term), that is you don't feel it when you use them, they are an extension of your hand.

Going more down you can see some of the saws.


All this is temporary as I plan to move the workshop downstairs once the Roubo bench is finished. This is how it looks, amazing what you can bring in 3 bags  

So, the Madonoko.

That's a saw with "windows", not the crappy OS but big gullets along the edge.


Yo may have seen this before, it was a ryoba and now is a kataba. The small nip on the top is a remainder: do not shear hardened saws. It broke like glass as I sheared, good I was far from my line. After that I used the grinder and files to refine the curve. Still thinking about that shape to give it. 

This is a 2/5 pattern, the gullet is 2 teeth and the rest 5 with 1 rip and 4 cross cut. This way the cross cutting teeth are alternating, something I've seen in Nagakatsu's saws. What's the difference with the 1/5 pattern? No frikkin idea. The gullets are larger, that much is true. (ie easier to make in smaller saws.)

Here's Gabe's pictures of his madonoko, far better than mine: 
http://granitemountainwoodcraft.com/2015/06/07/diagonal-chomasaru-western-panel-saw/

I haven't finished the saw because I have no saw vice here in Chile yet... but it seems that what we really need to make is a sen. Monday's project perhaps?

Finally, 

And the Roubo bench? Well, I was planing the other half of the top with my No 5 till I decided to make that olive wood handle and the rest is history. I had so much fun with my kanna that the bench went on vacation.


2 comments:

  1. Yes, a relationship between the grip and the intended function, I remember it now from Krenov too. With the tool it's the same, An infinite degree of subtlety suited to every individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said shinglemaker. Sebastian, your kataba madonoko looks great, it has character that when I look at it makes me want to use it. Is it a 270mm saw? Oh, thanks for the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPvJwvqAOJs of the saw maker in action. I have the feeling that I will watch this video many times. I have a big stack of old western panel saws with crappy temper waiting to be re-forged into nokogiri. I'm dreaming of a dozuki with folded brass back, fine tooth count madonoko for cutting transom miters.

    ReplyDelete