Thursday, May 28, 2015

Zone 0

In line with yesterday's depression, today I didn't even look at the house downstairs.

The morning was a bit of planing, lunch at an aunt's, and afternoon finishing my chisel holder.

I want first to have a nice room and a place for all my tools. From there, I can go working outwards fixing things little by little.

So, the chisel holder:


I saw a picture in one of these japanese blogs that really struck me, perhaps because I haven't seen the design in western world.


It was not really clear how the chisels hold in the holder and at what angle they are...

Mine are like at 60 degrees, maybe a bit too much but I could not manage to make the angle closer to 90 without the chisels falling down too much.


I glued, plane it, and brought it to my room


Sorry for the light, it was night already. A view from the side:


And a shot of my desk. It's not as neat as I want it yet but I'm getting there. One small victory each day.


Tomorrow I make the kanna holder and perhaps nail a piece of wood to hang the saws.  And start destroying the crap in the house downstairs.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like your shop is slowly coming together. Though, not much to do for a shokunin's workspace. I love your blog and all of the info on Japanese saw sharpening. I found you through Jason's blog "My peculiar nature". Have you found a maebiki oga? I've been having a lot of fun keeping mine sharpened and set, figuring it out: http://granitemountainwoodcraft.com/2015/05/31/ripping-boards-from-logs-with-a-maebiki-oga/ Any advice on chone-gake chipbreaker teeth? Reminds me of a small plow plane with chipbreaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note Gabe. I don't have a maebiki oga, the shipping cost from japan for such a package are quite high, so I'm thinking of making one myself. After seeing your pictures it really looks like a must now.

      I have never seen a saw with chipbreaker teeth, maybe one image in a japanese blog where they showed really nice shavings. I would love to try it though. Will ask you for close up pictures in your blog tomorrow.

      Cheers
      s

      Delete
  2. I was able to get another post up on my maebiki oga and the chipbreaker teeth. I went back and looked at the plate with a precision straight edge, and there are still some distortions that tooth set is compensating for at the moment: a bit of overall twist in the plate (how does that even happen?) and a localized bend at the toe of the saw from damage in shipping. I'm pretty good at taking distortions out when it is small, or an even bend of the plate, but twist seems more three dimensional and is giving me troubles. I've been practicing, trying to hammer a twist IN to a piece of saw plate, but can't get the shape I want, which means I don't understand what's happening yet in the metal. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete